Sunday, July 14, 2013

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy


Author: Kiersten White
Release: August 31st 2010
Genre: Supernatural, YA
#1 in the Paranormalcy trilogy
Sequels: Supernaturally (#2), Endlessly (#3)

Plot:

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Review: 

This is going to be short because this novel really didn't do much, somehow. I am very confused, because this was so strange. It entertained me and I liked it, enjoyed it even, that's why I gave it three stars. But I couldn't really connect to the characters and the story. 

I did like Evie, but I still felt kind of detached, like a spectator on the sidelines and not like I was right in the middle of it. However, I was able to sit back and enjoy the show. Evie was a good character. She made all the right decisions I could kiss her for it and she was a nice girl, despite everything she has had to go through.  Then there's Lend, who at first seemed interesting, but soon lost that and during the second half, he was just flat. I was very annoyed by Reth at first, thinking what-the-hell-is-that-stalker-guy-doing-that-is-just-fucked-up, but I am intrigued by him. Very. It was a merry go round with him, one moment thinking maybe he is one of the good guys and the other being sure he's the antagonist. I still haven't made up my mind, and the mystery about his affiliation grew on me. Maybe it's also because he reminded me of Ash from The Iron King. (whom I absolutely love) And lastly, I came to enjoy his character as well, so I guess that was a good thing.

Writing was very smooth, with a lot of comedy which kind of made this book, despite the killings and all that, seem a little like for younger kids. Rather like it's for ages eleven to fourteen, and myself only being sixteen, I feel like a hypocrite for saying this, but I couldn't really feel the maturity. It's probably just me, but I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed this a hell of a lot more had I read this sooner.

I don't know if I want to keep reading right away. I have both of the sequels, but I am not in a hurry to get to them, and that is not a good thing. I probably will, though, because I like sticking to one thing and finishing it so I don't forget anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment