Sunday, September 1, 2013

Review: Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor

Lips Touch: Three Times


Author: Laini Taylor
Release: October 1st 2009
Genre: Fantasy, YA


Plot:

Three tales of supernatural love, each pivoting on a kiss that is no mere kiss, but an action with profound consequences for the kissers' souls:

Goblin Fruit
In Victorian times, goblin men had only to offer young girls sumptuous fruits to tempt them to sell their souls. But what does it take to tempt today's savvy girls?

Spicy Little Curses
A demon and the ambassador to Hell tussle over the soul of a beautiful English girl in India. Matters become complicated when she falls in love and decides to test her curse.

Hatchling
Six days before Esme's fourteenth birthday, her left eye turns from brown to blue. She little suspects what the change heralds, but her small safe life begins to unravel at once. What does the beautiful, fanged man want with her, and how is her fate connected to a mysterious race of demons?

Review:

Daaangggg. This was absolutely flawless.

This is a collection of three short stories, written by Laini Taylor, who I swear is made up of everything good, like sunshine and rainbows and smiles. 

Every single one of these short stories had amazing characters. Very likeable, very real and relatable. Kizzy was such an eccentric little pearl, and while I would have loved to learn more about her weird family, I am still more than satisfied with how her story went. I liked it. Sweet and fluffy and innocent, although abruptly ending. I thought it fit the story so well though, so I'm not even mad.

The second was probably the lamest for me, although it was still enormously good. I loved the fantasy elements to this one (and the last one) soooo much. Anamique and James maybe weren't great characters, but Estella and Vasudev were mind-blowing. They were an amazing pair and more than made up for boring Ana and James. Although even Ana became badass by the end of the short story. And I still really enjoyed the story.

The last one just took my breath away. Why didn't she write a whole book about this? Why? It was an amazing idea, with a whole own world, a whole own language built for it. There was so much work put into this one, I just... I totally would have read this. Amazing, amazing characters, so complex and deep and wonderful. The plot was original and fresh, I savored every minute of it. I'm in love. I want this to be made into a full-length book. Now.

I simply adore Laini Taylor's writing. I had to put the book down for a seconds and marvel at Taylor's skill more than once. The way she chooses her words and spills them across the page like they're dancing, it's truly a work of art. I could never tire of reading her books, her prose is just so flawless. SO. FLAWLESS. OKAY?

Another thing I admired in this book was the layout. Seldom have I seen a layout this beautiful, seriously. Whoever designed this deserves an award. Multiple awards. The font, the design, the colors, everything about this pleased my eyes and mind. The illustrations were so delightful and well drawn, the illustrator surely deserves some awards, too. I can only bow my head to all these skilled people who put this book together. Great job, all of you. (And the cover... it fits so perfectly to all three stories. The red lips, the ice blue eyes, the fire... SO MUCH EYE FOR DETAIL I LOVE IT)

Highly, highly recommended. This is more than just three short stories about kisses, it's three whole worlds to lose yourself in and fawn over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment