Tuesday, March 1, 2016

February Recap

WHAT I READ

• Stars Above (Lunar Chronicles, #4.5) by Marissa Meyer
The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) by Alison Goodman
Riders (Riders, #1) by Veronica Rossi

Which makes a glorious amount of a staggering ... 3 books. You know, I even had the time to read. I just didn't. I don't know, I'm not even quite as ashamed as I should be... I had other things on my plate. Next month, I'll (hopefully) read a bit more.


PLAYLIST

1.) RUMORS by ADAM LAMBERT (ft. TOVE LO)
“Yeah, why do we care about the rumors, baby? / Oh, cause I don't need to lie to you / You'll never break my heart / Yeah, you'll find the truth here in my arms.”
2.) YOU AND I by PVRIS
“But for now we stay so far / Till our lonely limbs connect / I can’t keep you in these arms / So I’ll keep you in my mind.”
3.) STOP ME WHEN YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH by NURAL
“If I let you / Then could you stop me / Whenever I tell you that I'm alright? / I know I'll make everything look just fine / If you wonder what it feels like.”
4.) DON'T LOSE YOUR HEART by DREAM ON DREAMER (feat. JARROD SALTON)
“It takes a voice to make a change / It takes courage to not be the same / If the world is silenced today / I make sure to scream my name.”
5.) CAN YOU HOLD ME by NF (feat. BRITT NICOLE)
“It feels like a tear in my heart / Like a part of me missing / And I just can't feel it / I've tried and I've tried.”
6.) GOLD STEPS by NECK DEEP
“Sometimes things will bend you / But trust me you'll be fine / I've been moving mountains that I once had to climb / And life's not out to get you / Despite the things you've been through.”

For once in my life, my Discover Weekly playlist in Spotify yielded some pretty good music. I have also finally taken a listen to Neck Deep's latest album, which is pretty okay. I've never been a huge fan of their music and I'm sorry to say that they were pretty bad live, but this album was alright. Better than their older stuff.
The highlight of the month, however, was of course PVRIS' new music. I loved the new song, and I am so damn excited for more, hopefully very soon. I can't wait for the new album.


CINEMATOGRAPHY

Teen Wolf goes into its last two rounds for this season, and I gotta say, I continue to be mildly underwhelmed. The flashback episode with Crystal Reed was nice (although the fake accents were horrible), but the reveal of the Beast was so predictable and disappointing, there's not nearly enough Kira, Malia and Marrish (and Theo) in the episodes lately, and I'm really worried how they're going to wrap everything up nicely in just two more episodes. But still, I like the show. Every week, I am sitting on hot coals to finally view the new ep and I can't seem to get enough of this show.
And then there's Shadowhunters, which is quickly becoming a new favorite TV show to look forward to every week as well. The dialogue is still pretty cringey every now and then (they should hire a new script writer for the dialogue), but the actors seem to grow more and more into their roles every week and I love where the show is going with its character development. Yes, everything is moving pretty fast and they're already halfway into City of Ashes territory, but honestly, I don't even mind. I love how they're portraying Isabelle and Alec, how Simon's slow tumble into vampire insanity is turning out, I even like Clary and Jace's relationship whereas I've never been a huge fan of them in the books. Nice work here!
Finally, The 100... I honestly don't know what to say. The show gets worse and worse each week to be honest, because they're literally throwing any and all character development anyone's ever made over the past two seasons out the window so fast I'm left calling shenanigans. They're so blatantly sexualizing females and f/f relationships, while never even showing a hint of m/m, all the while patting themselves on the back for their "awesome queer representation." Just no.

I don't think this category has ever been this full of text before, but, aside from my three weekly TV shows, I have also watched two movies this month. First up, Colonia Dignidad which I even went to the movies for and, while quite confusing at first and also moving at a snail pace towards the middle, really hit me hard with the reality of its story and it left an impression even weeks afterward. I still think about the movie almost three weeks later, and I probably will for another few weeks.
Secondly, I watched The Forest, which was just ... cheap and boring. A very cliché and predictable horror movie that relies on jump scares to be in any way scary at all, and the horror atmosphere just never got me. Natalie Dormer was great as the lead, no question, but the premise wasn't executed very well.


MARCH TBR

• Map of Fates (Conspiracy of Us, #2) by Maggie Hall
• Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1) by Cassandra Clare

There's a lot coming up in March, and I still need to finish some February releases and so on, so I'll just let it come as it goes. Or something like that. You know.

No comments:

Post a Comment