Saturday, April 25, 2015

Review: The Wondrous and The Wicked by Page Morgan

The Wondrous and The Wicked

Author: Page Morgan
Release: April 14th 2015
Genre: Historical, Supernatural, Gargoyles, YA
#3 in the Dispossessed trilogy

Plot:

Since the Waverlys arrived in Paris, the streets have grown more fearsome by the day. As Ingrid learns to master her lectrux gift, she must watch Axia's power grow strong enough to extend beyond her Underneath hive. By all indications, the fallen angel's Harvest is near-and the timing couldn't be worse.

Targeted by vengeful gargoyles, Gabby has been exiled to London for her own protection. Meanwhile, the gargoyle castes are in disarray, divided between those who want Luc to lead them and those who resent him and his fondness for humans. The Alliance is crumbling from the inside as well, its members turning against one another, and possibly against the Waverlys, too.

Axia has promised that the world will burn. And now, unable to trust the Alliance, separated from Luc, Gabby, and her twin, Grayson, Ingrid is left to face the demon uprising alone.

Review:


There's something bittersweet about loving an underrated series. Nobody knows about it, there are are no fanarts etc since there is no fandom to discuss it with. This is the case with this wonderful trilogy that has enchanted me so much and yet I know barely anyone who has read it. There are loads of people that have read the first book, but even having liked that one, they completely forgot that this is in fact a trilogy and didn't continue on with the books. They are truly missing out, I'm sorry to say. 

These books obviously aren't flawless, obviously, but the issues I have with them are so incredibly minor compared to everything I absolutely love and adore about them that I don't mind the slightest bit. There is only one inconsistency throughout the books, and that's the fact that every French person is capable of speaking English, which is a blatant lie. No one in France can speak anything but French.

What I possibly like best about the books isn't even the magnificent gothic atmosphere of turn-of-the-century Paris, or the unique plot line of gargoyles that I have, as of yet, only encountered one other time in Armentrout's horrendous The Dark Elements trilogy. It's, and this probably won't come as a surprise because I have already mentioned it a gazillion times in my reviews of the other two books, the characters and their interweaving relationships. All of them are completely and truly their own in every way, but they complement each other so beautifully. Ingrid and Gabby, on their lonesome, are fierce and strong, but together they are unstoppable. And yet, they are also so completely different from each other, Gabby being impulsive, headstrong and won't back down from a challenge whereas Ingrid is more calm, calculating and rational. Still, they make such a harmonic duo, and I feel like that's true for most of the relationships in the book. Chelle is so extremely independent and badass, sometimes even taking it way too far, but together with Grayson, she manages to become more level-headed and he grounds her, but only in a good way that doesn't include also holding her back or anything. Ugh, I just can't stress enough how touching all of the characters and dynamics are. The romantic ones, too, I ship Luc and Ingrid so, so much, so much that I won't even complain about how convenient the ending was, because they deserve a convenient happy ending. I was this close to adding "easy" to that, but it's not even true. The road to that happy ending was paved with loss and struggle and grief, so honestly, I won't begrudge them anything.

Oh, yeah, there was also the amazing plot. Which was almost a footnote for me, because I simply sat there the whole time marveling at how Morgan managed to create all these perfect dynamics within her book. Nevertheless, the story was gripping and intense as well, making it even harder to really put the book down. Once I really had time to start reading the book yesterday afternoon, I couldn't stop, because it is so addictive and compelling.

I'm actually quite sad to let this trilogy go. It's been great, and I didn't even realize how attached I'd grown to the characters until now. Thank you for sharing this story with me, Page Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment