Monday, September 1, 2014

August Recap

WHAT I READ

Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5) by Richelle Mead
Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone, #1) by Lori M. Lee
Defiance (Courier's Daughter, #1) by C. J. Redwine
Cracked (Soul Eater, #1) by Eliza Crewe
Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1) by Mindy McGinnis
The Circle (Engelsfors, #1) by Sara B. Elfgren & Mats Strandberg
If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

8 books. As expected, another rather slow reading month, despite the fact that I was on summer vacation. I know, I know ... I've simply been preoccupied, and I'm still in a sort-of reading slump. Whatever, though. I do also feel the need to point out that one of these books, The Circle, was actually a 600 page book, so there's that at least. As for my TBR, I didn't read Sisters' Fate, because I just didn't feel in the mood for it the whole time and I don't want to ruin the experience of reading the last book of a trilogy I actually enjoy simply because I feel some sort of compulsion and obligation to finish the darn book for a virtual reading list I made.

PLAYLIST

1.) SLOW DANCE NIGHT by THIS CENTURY
“Get me up and get me out / Running in the city with a brand new sound / They got it figured out / Burning up in smoke, talking slow as they spin around.”
2.) FOOL'S GAME by THIS CENTURY
“Love is a fool's game / If I could let it go / I'd show a side of me that you'd never know / So if we're gonna play / Don't take it personal / You know we'll never be responsible or rational.”
3.) TOMORROW NEVER DIES by 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER
“Life can be so hard to breathe / When you're trapped inside a box / You're waiting for a break to come / It always comes too late.”
4.) FLAWLESS by BEYONCÉ ft. NICKI MINAJ
“We say to girls, "You can have ambition, but not too much / You should aim to be successful / But not too successful / Otherwise you will threaten the man."”
5.) I WANT OUT by YOUNG GUNS
“I will light up the sky as we burn it down / I know you can't doubt it, but let me say / 'Cause I know it's better this way / 'Cause if this is love, baby, I want out”
6.) BAD NEWS by BASTILLE
“Bad news like a sucker punch moving your way / People fill the streets like nothing has changed / Clap hands if you're lonely don't leave the same / Planes fly overhead like any old day.”
7.) ANIMALS by MAROON 5
“So if I run it's not enough / You're still in my head forever stuck / So you can do what you wanna do / I love your lies I'll eat 'em up.”
8.) LITTLE WHITE LIES by ONE DIRECTION
“If this room was burning / I wouldn't even notice / 'Cause you've been taking up my mind / With your little white lies, little white lies / You say you're a good girl / But I know you would girl.”
9.) YOU DON'T KNOW ME by ARIANA GRANDE
“I don't need to live by your rules, you don't control me / Until you've walked a mile in my shoes, you don't know me.”

This month, I discovered that This Century released an AMAZING album last year (jeez WHERE WAS I) which I can only recommend to everyone. Also, my 5 Seconds of Summer craziness only continued to get even more intense, with me pushing my plays into 6k by the end of the month. Madness. They are such great guys though, and they're just so freaking talented. Seriously. Their VMA performance was so good; I really wish they had gotten the Award after all, 'cause they so deserved it.
Anyway, Young Guns' new single was good, I liked it, but truth be told, I did expect a little more — I'm still stoked for the new album, though. Bastille's new song was like a sucker punch (HA I'm not funny) because it was so unexpectedly good. Like, Bastille has never been one of my favorite bands and they've always been more of a casual "yeah, they're good", but THAT SONG DAMN. The same goes for Maroon 5's new one, especially seeing as I didn't like the one that came after Maps that much. Very excited for the new album coming up. Speaking of new album, Ariana Grande's was petty good too. I'm not that big a fan of hers, but her music is alright.


CINEMATOGRAPHY

Teen Wolf is ... questionable. I don't know, ever since episode 5 I've really caught the Teen Wolf fever again, as I think I mentioned in last month's wrap-up and that continued over episodes 6 and 7 as well, but ever since episode 8, this has tamped down a bit again. I still watch every Monday night at 4am live, but I'm not enjoying it quite as much as I used to. So far, it's just extremely confusing and seems so random? And I know it's not just me who feels like this, a lot of people agree with me.
As for the Legend of Korra, uhm ... I still haven't watched the last three episodes, if I'm being honest. Up until episode 9, I've watched them all, but I will remedy the fact that I haven't watched them very soon. I heard the finale was epic.
On a brighter note, I finally got around to watching Divergent this month. Yes, I know! Very late to the party, and I'm sorry for it, but up until now, I haven't had an opportunity to watch it yet. I must say, I'm really really happy with how the movie turned out and I immensely enjoyed it. It stayed really true to the book (sure, a few alterations here and there, but all in all, I'm very pleased. And while I'm not usually one of those critics that immediately disregard any movie that deviates from the book the littlest bit, it does satisfy me greatly whenever I do see a movie that's been executed very closely to the book), and the actors were great. As were the costumes and the scenery and I think the movie captured the general essence of the trilogy well. Definitely a success, can't wait for Insurgent! :)


SEPTEMBER TBR

• The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey
• The Perilous Sea (Elemental Trilogy, #2) by Sherry Thomas
• Trial by Fire (Worldwalker Trilogy, #1) by Josephine Angelini
• Unmade (Lynburn Legacy, #3) by Sarah Rees Brennan

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to get to the last one, because of Amazon's fucked up pre-order deliveries, but I sure hope so. Anyway, here's to hoping that this month of great and long anticipated sequels will be the month I break out of my reading slump. Incidentally, it's of course the month school starts again, but you know, I don't really care even. It's five weeks until I have fall holidays again, soooo. Let the reading begin!

1 comment:

  1. Damn, I still haven't read Silver Shadows... It will happen though. It will happen. And hey, 8 books is still better than me. I read like 6, and half were erotica, so. xD The funny thing is that all your songs I have heard either because I showed them to you or because you force me to listen to them.

    I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE INFINITE SEA. I DIDN'T EVEN LIKE THE FIFTH WAVE ALL THAT MUCH. I JUST LIKED EVAN, OKAY? I LIKED EVAN.

    ReplyDelete