Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 End of the Year Book Survey


I kind of stole this from Amber, yes, I know. I'm guilty of playing the copycat. But oh well, her post was such a fine template, I couldn't help myself. So, here we go. :D What I thought about the year 2013 book and reading-wise.


1. Best Book You Read In 2013?

Fantasy: Siege & Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Science Fiction: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Horror/Thriller: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
Paranormal: Unbreakable by Kami Garcia
Supernatural: World After by Susan Ee
Dystopian: Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken

All Time Favorite: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead. Now, I'm not saying I didn't love it, but I thought I would be going crazy after reading it, but I was just... normal. Finishing it, I didn't feel any particular, strong feelings about what happened and it was more like, "Ok, nice. What's next?"

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Definitely Unbreakable by Kami Garcia. I was wary at first because I didn't like Beautiful Creatures that much, but even though I know that objectively, Unbreakable isn't very remarkable, I absolutely loved it.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

Siege & Storm by Leigh Bardugo. Definitely.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

Probably a tie between The Pledge trilogy by Kimberly Derting and the Everneath trilogy by Brodi Ashton.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Victoria Schwab, Victoria Schwab, Victoria Schwab. Just, Victoria Schwab.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Hm, probably Anna and the French Kiss, which I really loved, but I thought I wouldn't because I don't like Contemporary.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

I'd say Siege & Storm again, but I think this time I'll go with Through The Ever Night by Veronica Rossi.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano, besides of course all of the other favorites I've listed so far.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Let The Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger


11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Richard Gansey from Maggie Stiefvater's The Dream Thieves.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

Ah... a tie between Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare and Allegiant by Veronica Roth, both of whose endings have made me cry rivers of tears.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

That just has to be the whole Harry Potter series which I had not read yet until this year. Yes. Crucify me.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?


That is mean. There are just so many...

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown quotes:
• “Every hero is the villain of his own story.”
• “I haven't had a very good day. I think I might still be hung over and everyone's dead and my root beer's gone.”
“We'll get you another day.”
• “We all wind up drawn to what we're afraid of, drawn to try to find a way to make ourselves safe from a thing by crawling inside of it, by loving it, by becoming it.”
The Dream Thieves quotes:
• “What do you want, Adam?
To feel awake when my eyes are open.”
• “While I'm gone,” Gansey said, pausing, “dream me the world. Something new for every night.”
• “If you never saw the stars, candles were enough.”
Vicious quotes:
• “When no one understands, that's usually a good sign that you're wrong.”
• “Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.”
Perfect Ruin quotes:
• “Every star has been set in the sky. We mistakenly think they were put there for us.”
• “It's easier than accepting that there's nothing out there at all, and that, in our darkest moments, we are truly alone.”
• “There's no time for resting, and no room for dreams. It's time to wake up.”
• “She talks of staying in the sky. Yet sometimes she is her own floating city, drifting farther away from me.”

I could list so many, many more, but I'll stop here, okay.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Longest is A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin which has almost 1200 pages if I'm not mistaken, and the shortest... Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll with roughly 100 pages.

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Well, obviously, the ending of Allegiant. But also, the ending of The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa. And the ending of Everbound by Brodi Ashton.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013?

Jared & Kennedy in Unbreakable by Kami Garcia, and Blue & Gansey in The Dream Thieves.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Silber by Kerstin Gier.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else

Well, it wasn't a direct recommendation, but I only ever read The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey because of all the hype it was getting. And yeah, I liked it, although I'm not sure I would say it was one of the best books I've read... I'm trying to think of some other that I read because of the hype that I liked better, but I'm coming up empty. So I guess I'll go with The Fifth Wave.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

I don't even know but I'd say Fantasy and/or Supernatural because basically everything can be filed under one or both of these genres in some sort of way.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Aaron Warner from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi! After reading Unravel Me this year, I was crushing on him so hard.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas and I adore Ravka from, again, Leigh Bardugo's Grisha trilogy.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

By far Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins. It was such a fun and action-packed read that I flew through the series in mere days. But also Angelfall and World After by Susan Ee, which I have both only read this year (Angelfall in June and World After in November when it came out).

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Let's see:
• Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
• Allegiant by Veronica Roth
• Sever by Lauren DeStefano
• The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

The Pledge and Unbreakable.


Looking Ahead


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness hopefully, the rest of the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, The Diviners by Libba Bray, and a few classics here and there.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

You can check out my blog posts here and here for that! :)

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hedge, Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige and The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings.

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

Into The Still Blue by Veronica Rossi, Ruin & Rising by Leigh Bardugo, Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor, The Unbound by Victoria Schwab, The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa, Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi, The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin and Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

I'd like to manage to read 100 books again this year, and yeah... that's it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment